- Morristown, NJ
- Full Time
- Clinical Laboratory
Centers Laboratory of New Jersey is currently searching for a Molecular Technologist to work full-time for our Laboratory in Cedar Knolls, NJ. The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational and communication skills!
Position Title: Molecular Technologist
Reports to: Molecular Supervisor
The Molecular Technologist is responsible for performing all aspects of testing in a clinical molecular laboratory. The technologist performs complex technical work involving molecular analysis. The technologist performs extensive and complex steps requiring manual manipulation and pipetting, close monitoring and control, evaluation of data and careful, accurate work. They assist supervisors in the development of new technologies and participates in documenting and implementing quality control and procedures. Perform all aspects of patient care in a laboratory environment that optimizes patient safety. Demonstrate the ability to function competently according to established company and departmental policies and procedures. Specific duties include Quality Control and Calibration review, facilitating the training schedule and competencies for the department staff, managing the Proficiency testing for the department, and other duties, as assigned by the department Supervisor.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each responsibility competently. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibility.
Responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Evaluate specimens received by the department and organize workflow to provide optimum efficiency of testing and turnaround time of results.
- Extract, denature and purify DNA from assorted specimen types
- Perform PCR, hybridization, and genetic sequencing methods
- Evaluate results to determine interference, inhibition, or other problems that arise during extraction, amplification, or sequencing of DNA
- Perform quality control, validation, and other quality activities to verify the performance of clinical assays
- Maintain equipment by performing assigned maintenance activities and troubleshoot unexpected problems with equipment
- Evaluate inventory of supplies and reagents and communicate order needs
- Operate complex equipment and computer programs related to equipment and LIS system
- Maintain records of test results and archives of data
- Perform proficiency testing to maintain compliance with regulatory agencies
- Assist department in writing and maintaining standard operating procedures for clinical assays. Document knowledge by reviewing and signing SOPs annually
- Assists the department Supervisor with managing the technical operations of their department which may also include staff supervision.
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problem or immediately notify Laboratory Management
- Understand and comply with all company policies/procedures and regulatory standards
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Perform all responsibilities independently with no direct supervision required
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, standards, applications and tests
- Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations
- Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and maintenance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and comply with all HIPAA regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Critical thinking with efficient and effective problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment that promotes inclusiveness and communication among team members
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree in Medical Technology, Molecular, Chemistry, Biology, or related Life Science
Certification and Licensure:
- MT ASCP preferred
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, and other conditions common to a laboratory environment
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as appropriate such as lab coats, face shields, gloves and masks
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed
- Frequent use of computer, keyboard, phone, and copy and fax machine as needed
Centers Health Care is a fully integrated post-acute care continuum offering rehabilitation and skilled nursing services in more than 45 locations covering four states. In addition, we provide special services including in-center and home dialysis, ventilator care, and care for those with Alzheimer’s. The Centers Health Care family offers Skilled Nursing, Urgent Care, Managed Care, Renal Dialysis Services, Clinical Laboratory Services, Adult Day Health Care, and Assisted Living services, as well as every level of Home Care. Centers is well known for our commitment to our employees, offering outstanding ongoing training and development, career advancement opportunities, competitive pay rates, generous compensation packages and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer –M/F/D/V